Wednesday, September 28, 2016

#devoday3 - Hanx and a Generosity of Spirit

#trendingtopic
A popularly trending topic on Facebook today is, Tom Hanks crashing the photo shoot of a very lucky bride and groom on their wedding day, in Central Park.  Go ahead, click on that link and watch the video, and I dare you not to feel all warm and tingly.  After two days of devos about really difficult and complex topics, I personally am so glad to bring you this cute little story, and what the Bible has to say about it all.  Now, the "Celebrity Faith Database" (which is a real thing) identifies Tom Hanks as a "firm believer in God" and a regularly attending church-goer with family background in Catholicism, Mormonism, and the Church of the Nazarene.  His wife is Greek Orthodox, and this seems to be how Hanx worships these days.  I have no idea about the personal relationship Tom has or does not have with Christ.  But I do know this.  Hanx seems to have a generosity of spirit that not many have now-a-days, and, sadly, not many of faith have.

#scripturetiein
What do I mean by "generosity of spirit"?  I define it by giving freely of your good will and kindness.  We see this concept in many eastern philosophies and religions such as Buddhism, Hinduism, and Seikism.  But we, as believers, should lead the way in having a generous spirit.  Not because our human "spirits" are innately kind and full of good will, but because we have the Holy Spirit inside of us, and every thing we do and say should be an outpouring of it!

Acts 10:37-38 says:
You yourselves know what happened throughout all Judea, beginning from Galilee after the baptism that John proclaimed: how God anointed Jesus of Nazareth with the Holy Spirit and with power.  He went about doing good and healing all who were oppressed by the devil, for God was with him.

Romans 8;11 says:
If the Spirit of Him who raised Jesus from the dead is living in you, He who raised Christ from the dead will also give life to your mortal bodies through his Spirit who dwells in you.

So, if the Holy Spirit is what caused Jesus to do "good" and heal "all who were oppressed by the devil" and we have that same Spirit if we have faith, shouldn't that mean we should also do good and bring healing to a broken world, oppressed by sin?  Having a generous spirit is not a gift that is only bestowed to some Christians.  We all have the Spirit in us, and it should exude out of each of us!  But, the Bible says we have the ability to "quench" the spirit (1 Thessalonians 5:19), or "extinguish" it, in other words.  If we do not have a generous spirit, doing good and healing those around us of the pain that Satan brings, it is not because that just isn't how God made us.  It is because we are choosing to hide the Spirit, and that is a very sad, and serious thing.

#liveit
So, I get it.  If the average person, like myself, crashed a wedding photo shoot, that person would probably get arrested.  Tom Hanks is able to do this to much joy and thanksgiving because of his fame and popularity.  But that spirit of "how can I brighten someone else's day?" is in all of us!  Buy a coffee for someone in the line behind you.  Leave a note for a co-worker to tell them how much you appreciate them.  Buy or make a small gift for your spouse or other family member.  Hold a door.  Offer a smile.  Start a conversation with someone people don't usually talk to.  These are just a few ideas!  Oh! And, expect nothing in return.

And, of course, pray.  Pray for those around you, because the Bible says that even if you don't know what to pray for, the Spirit will intercede (that means take over) on your behalf and appeal to the Father for what the subject of your prayer needs (Romans 8:26).

#prayer
Lord, too often, I admit, I quench your Spirit within me.  In a spirit of negativity and mortality, I assume that I cannot do much to impact the lives of the people around me.  But, Lord, You can!  And You are in me!  Lord, thank you for the gift of the Holy Spirit!  Let me not experience this gift only for myself, but share it with the hurting world around me!  Lord, thank you for the example of people who naturally exude a generous spirit.  Forgive me for not always being among them, and strengthen me to be able to do so.
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment