Tuesday, October 4, 2016

#devoday6 - Where Thieves Do Not Break In and Steal

#trendingtopic
The internet has been abuzz over the past couple of days with news of the robbery of Kim Kardashian West in her husband's apartment in Paris.  Reportedly, Kim was staying in Paris over the weekend, when masked men broke in, bound her and stole jewelry and a very expensive jewelry box.  I can only imagine how terrified she was, and the relief of her family to learn she was unharmed.  My guess is that not much concern was given for the material goods that were stolen, in light of the potential harm that could have been done to this mother, wife, sister, and daughter.  The story made me think of my own vulnerability in the world, and of what really matters to me: that which cannot be stolen.

#scripturetiein
Matthew 6:19-20 instructs us to not to gather for ourselves temporary treasures on earth but rather, "lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust destroys and where thieves do not break in and steal".

All of our earthly possessions, no matter how well made or expensive, will eventually decay, rust, break, or become obsolete.  Jesus instructs us not to "lay up" these things.  To lay up means to store up, gather, or collect.  This is not to say we should not own anything, or enjoy a collection of items that brings us joy.  It is to say that these should not be where we place our value.  I like to say, we should own our possesssions, they should not own us.

Our "treasures in heaven" are what matters, and we are storing those treasures up in our time on earth.  Giving our hearts to the service of the Lord will pay dividends in heavenly value, and this should be where our focus lies.  Love, generosity, peace, and faith - these are the currencies traded in the heavenly market.  Investing in them now will assure a bond in heaven, waiting for your arrival!

It's likely that you will not be staying in Paris soon, travelling with millions of dollars worth of goods.  But it is true that if you own anything, you are vulnerable to it being taken or destroyed.  Think of your most prized possessions and how you would feel if they were suddenly gone.  Now, think of the heavenly treasures that you stand to receive one day.  Praise God that they cannot be destroyed or taken from you!  And continue to invest in that future bounty, moreso than you do your earthly storehouses.

#liveit
Take a look at your finances over the last 2 or 3 months.  Split it into categories (dining out, clothing, bills, groceries, gas, entertainment, gifts, etc.)  Look at where the majority of your money goes, after bills, groceries and gas.  Over the next month make a concerted effort to align your budget with your heart.  Give to your church, and give to the needy.

Perhaps you look at your financial picture and realize that there is not much there to give after bills and other necessities are paid for.  Give of your time and heart.  Volunteer, spend time with a depressed or lonely friend, send a note to a loved one.

The key word here is GIVE.  For the true believer, giving now is how we receive in heaven.

#prayer
Lord, I know that nothing I own here can come with me when I go to be with you.  Help me to focus on that which I will take with me: my soul.  I ask, Lord that you present me countless opportunities to give of myself.  I don't want my focus to be on receiving, Lord, I want it to be on giving and generosity.  Don't let my fears of insecurity for the future of my life on earth, diminish my security of a treasured life in heaven.  I thank you Lord for the resources I have, and the blessings you have given me.  I thank you for the possessions that bring me and my family joy.  Even more so, Lord, I thank you for my greatest possession: my faith.  Never let me forget how priceless it is, and how it can be used to your glory!
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment