Tuesday, September 27, 2016

#devoday2 - Perspectives of Home

#trendingtopic
The number one trending topic on Facebook today is, of course, the U.S. Presidential Debate that aired last night.  This election has invoked many emotions in the citizens of this country, but the number one emotion that I have picked up from the conversations with friends and family, Facebook posts, and the news, is FEAR.  Many of us are genuinely afraid of what will happen to the country if one, or the other, candidate is elected president.  This is where biblical perspective is necessary.

#scripturetiein
Hebrews 13:14 tells us that "here we have no lasting city, but we seek the city that is to come".  What does that mean?  It means that, while we do live here right now, we will not always, and we are not meant to live here, always.  It means that we are sojourners here, on earth.  We have not reached our heavenly home yet, and we are passing through this world on our way there-sacrificing, submitting, and doing good so that others may join us one day in entering our true home.

#liveit
While stewardship in citizenry is important, and education about who we vote for is key, who becomes our next leader is not the end all, be all of our societal existence.

What do we expect of refugees to the United States-to those who are here until they can return home?  We expect them to be lawful.  We expect them to contribute.  We expect them to respect the environment around them.  But, we don't expect them to embrace all of our ways and be concerned with all of the things that concern us, as a nation, because this country is not their home.

This is exactly how we should think of our role in politics and governance here, on earth.  While this world is not our permanent home, it is what God has provided us right here, right now.  We should be lawful.  We should contribute from our finances and citizenship.  We should respect the environment around us.  We should not be consumed with earthly politics, though.  Earthly politics will, ultimately, have no affect on us.  While participation is prudent, as we can promote heavenly values in participation, and it does impact our daily lives, it should not become the goal.  Our goal is to make it back to heaven.  Our concerns should be with the governance and culture of our heavenly home.  While taking refuge here, we must never forget to honor our own King, and remain true to the way of life that is customary for citizens of heaven.

#prayer
Lord, as a refugee here on earth, I admit I am afraid of what the future holds, regarding the current American presidential elections.  Lord, I ask that you help me to wisely participate in the process of choosing our next leader.  Lord, I ask that you grant me the strength and patience to submit to the leadership of our next President, as your word instructs me to do.  Above all of this, though, Lord, I ask that you would continually keep my heart set on my true home.  Do not let me become embedded here, Lord.  Do not let me forget that my true home is with You.  Lord, while I respect and submit to my earthly leaders, I honor and adore you.  While I participate, and even enjoy some earthly ritual, Lord, I remain committed to your customs and ways.  Strengthen my resolve to maintain my heavenly identity while residing here in the world, Lord.
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment